Wednesday 4 September 2013

Sea Urchins help to understand how we can reduce CO2 emissions

By Clare Tweedy
The key to understanding how we can reduce carbon dioxide emissions in the atmosphere could lie in the CO2-reacting properties of sea urchins. Newcastle University have discovered that sea urchins are able to capture CO2 from the sea via the use of Nickel particles. The carbon dioxide is then converted into harmless calcium carbonate. The carbonic acid reaction occurs when carbon dioxide reacts with water, a process which usually takes too long to carry out naturally. High amounts of Nickel were found on the exoskeleton of the sea urchin, and this effect can be recreated with the use of Nickel nanoparticles.
Current proposals to remove CO2 from the atmosphere include pumping it into the ground, though this process is expensive and could lead to the gas escaping from the ground again. Alternatively, CO2 can be converted into calcium or magnesium carbonate via an enzyme called carbonic anhydrase. This enzyme depends on the conditions not being acidic however, and the carbonic acid produced means the enzyme quickly stops working. Nickel, on the other hand, is not just able to work despite the acid but is also much cheaper than the enzyme. This process would see CO2 passed through a column of water containing Nickel, with calcium carbonate (or chalk) being produced at the end.
This discovery could help us to combat climate change and produce more efficient methods of CO2 capture. While it would not be effective in the case of vehicular pollution, fossil fuel-burning power stations could revolutionise their CO2 emissions using this method.

2 comments:

  1. I was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease a year ago at the age of 68. For several months I had noticed tremors in my right hand and the shaking of my right foot when I was sitting. My normally beautiful cursive writing was now small cramped printing. And I tended to lose my balance. Neurologist had me walk down the hall and said I didn't swing my right arm. I had never noticed! I was in denial for a while as there is no history in my family of parents and five older siblings, but now accept I had classic symptoms. I was taking pramipexole (Sifrol), carbidopa/levodopa and Biperiden, 2 mg. and started physical therapy to strengthen muscles. nothing was really working to help my condition.I went off the Siferol (with the doctor’s knowledge) and started on parkinson’s herbal formula i ordered from Health Herbal Clinic, my symptoms totally declined over a 3 weeks use of the Parkinsons disease natural herbal formula. i am now almost 70 and doing very well, the disease is totally reversed!! Visit there website www. healthherbalclinic. net

    ReplyDelete